By doing nutrition recovery after sessions your body is able to repair and recovery well enough AND you have set yourself up well for the next bout of exercise you are going to do (even if it’s a few days later).
Start with getting these 2 basic food timings right on as many days of the week as you can.
- This allows plenty of time for food to clear the upper gut and reduces the chances of an upset stomach or that feeling of sickness
- The food you eat is used to top-up your energy stores. You now go into training with maximum energy levels
- Choose a quality carbohydrate food first e.g. bread, wraps, cereals, pasta, rice, baked beans
- Include some protein e.g. meats, canned fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, milks, yoghurts
- Add a fruit or vegetable to balance all your nutrients
Now piece it together to look like this:
Ham and cheese toasted sandwich + glass milk + an orange
Toast + baked beans topped with grated cheese + an apple
Chicken and salad wrap + yoghurt + mixed nuts
Pasta with bolognese sauce topped with grated cheese + banana
Peanut butter sandwich + fruit smoothie drink
- You now need to replace the fuel (carbs) you have just used up in the training session.
- The blood supply to your muscles is efficient at this time so it makes good sense to supply that blood with good nutrients for maximum muscle repair and recovery
- The trick is to combine some protein with your carbs. Refuelling can be faster with this combination. Carbs for refuelling and protein for muscle repair and recovery.
- If you are heading straight into a dinner meal after training, then you might not eat too much before you enjoy this meal.
Here are some good recovery options to piece together if you aren’t going to be eating a main meal straight-away:
Carbohydrates: fresh fruits, dried fruits, sandwiches or wraps, rice cakes/corn thins, crackers, popcorn and pretzels, bliss balls
Proteins: fruit yoghurts (the pouches are really handy), creamy rice, small bags nuts, flavoured milks
[oh and don't forget your hydration!]
And thats how we help you athletes to EAT THRIVE AND PERFORM. Feel free to ask us any questions or contact us if you are needing help with your young athlete’s nutrition. Let us help make your life easier .